Monday, 18 January 2016


Fear of falling vs Fear of never learning


People : You’re such a tom boy and you don’t know how to cycle? Seriously?
(Looks can be deceptive you see)
Me: Yeah! I don’t know how to *cringing*
People: How is that even remotely possible?
Me: Never got a chance until now. The extremely narrow roads and uphill/slopes plus my busy schedule stopped me. Besides, I never gave a thought to it.

PHEW!

Okay! I had a plan to visit a Santhali village in Dec, 2015. Plan failed ofcourse!
With the few money that I had I thought I would atleast go to Aizawl and live lavishly for a week. Plan failed again!

Nonetheless, one fine evening as I was randomly surfing I came across a picture of a cycle. I had money, I had time, why not learn cycling! I didn’t tell Maa about it until the last moment.

Her reaction: Shouldn’t you be ashamed! You’re already too old for a cycle (I am not very sure if she was talking about ..you know..Hymen!) .Besides what will your students think of you? blah! Blah! Blah..

Me: I feel like defying you this time and I will.

Hopped into a Sumo the next day , bought a cycle on Christmas eve (The ironical part is Maa accompanied me and chose the cycle). Somehow dragged it under the heat and dust and finally reached the sumo stand (not to mention they already waited for us for like an hour)

Yay! Reached home finally with my brand new FIREFOX AXIS 24!!

Day 1:Uncle woke me up, tried to teach me cycling but my fear was stronger than my will to learn. I didn’t learn a thing. (First tutor failed)
Day 2: Cousin took me and my younger sis. She learnt it quickly whereas I sat there and watched them for I was worried about falling (coward as I am)
Day 3: Father woke me up at 5, he tried to be my third tutor. My brake skills couldn’t stop me from getting into the gutter thrice. THRICE!!
Day 4: I didn’t wake anyone, I decided to go on this journey alone. It was all dark, no taxis, no autos, not a single soul to be seen. It was just I and my Cycle. It was only on this day that I made up my mind and forced myself to accept this :-

If I have to fall in order to learn then so be it!’



After 24 days  I finally learnt how to ride on slopes and leveled roads like a pro. The skill to cycle uphill is not  yet acquired but I will someday.

I had 4 roads in my bucket lists:
1)   Banglakawn to Diakkawn—Done!
2)   Diakkawn to Rengtekawn—Done!
3)   Rengtekawn to Rengte tlang sang- Done!
4)   Banglakawn to Bualpui—Now this one is saved for the closest Sunday, if all else works J

The art of cycling didn’t come easily; I bruised, I fell (toppled infact) multiple times but the scars they left were nothing compared to the satisfaction it gave me, the satisfaction to learn a new thing. It might sound too much to some but it did boost my confidence. For a person who has a natural fear of riding/ driving it was a big deal to have run inbetween huge trucks/ cars/ bikes/autos/humans  and riding on NH-54!

And a big THANKYOU to my riding partners, Mr. T ,V and cute P for being so patient with this slow learner. Also, to all those neighbours, from grannies/grandpas to 5 year old kids, who tried teaching me all on the 1st day itself. It was kinda overwhelming to see how supportive they were (plus point of living in a close knit community even though we fight over water connections heeee)

Message:
·       You’re not too old to learn new things
·       Do not listen to what people say
·       Get involved in physical activities before you reach 30
·       Do not ever be embarrassed to learn anything which the society (baah!) claims inappropriate for your age

·       Let the Fear of never learning always win over the Fear of falling because ‘Dar ke Aage Jeet Hai’  remember?


No comments:

Post a Comment